Re: Weekend travels

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weekend travels
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 06:45:18 +0100
In article <"009583B0A997F05C*/c=us/admd=  /prmd=Cat/o=NOTES/s=Gosling/g
=Richard/i=B/"@MHS>, Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
writes

>Mike,
>
>Sounds like an interesting weekend - I'm glad you finally managed to track down
> those elusive bits you were after, especially the steering wheel.

I'm very pleased with my various acquisitions - all I have on the
shopping list now are the items I'd like to get "One Day".   Most of
these are things that don't really need doing, but would be nice to have
(new front springs etc.) or things that can wait until I've sorted the
bodywork out (tread-plates and bumpers).

>  The
> Spitfire Graveyard sounds like a wierd place - and with so much damp surely
> the optimum place to encourage (further) rusting of all their parts!

Absolutely.   The steering wheel, for example, was sealed in a plastic
bag in an attempt to protect it from the damp.   Nevertheless, the
leather was rather soggy, and the spokes covered in spots of surface
rust.   I have sorted out the leather by allowing it to air-dry and then
applying boot polish (has come up a treat), and the surface rust came
off with a light wire-brushing, leaving nice shiny spokes, which have
now been treated with LDS3.

>So, just how far did you let the temperature gauge creep up before the engine
> blew?  This may be a clue as to whether Carly normally runs cool, or whether
> she runs at a normal temperature but your gauge was under-reading.  I know
> that I've had Daffy a little over the 3/4 mark before and she hasn't blown
> anything.

The overflow tank exploded when the needle was just short of the Max
line (I was planning to stop in a few miles anyway to see what the
problem was).

>Better get your cylinder head checked for flatness before it goes back on
> again, they can warp in these situations, and need skimming flat again -
> although not nearly as badly as modern aluminium heads!

It has already gone away for inspection and skimming as required.   For
the sake of twenty quid, it's got to be worth it!

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"

///