Re: Valances and LRP

To: OC <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valances and LRP
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 16 May 2001 11:47:34 -0500
Mike wrote -

"I must admit that I'm bemused about the efficiency of the cooling system
on Carly.   On Saturday, when it was over 80 in the shade, the needle on
the temperature gauge went just past the middle.   When the weather is
cooler, and I'm on an open road, it rarely gets above a quarter of the
way up.   I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to know why Carly
seems so much more efficient than many of her stable-mates."

My first reaction is that your thermostat may be opening at too low a
 temperature - either faulty, or your DPO chose to fit a low-temperature 'stat.
You could always replace it to see what happens - they are not expensive (and
 you can get them at Halfords, no need for a trip into the Fens!).

The only other possibility that occurs is that the reading is wrong - dodgy
 gauge, dodgy temperature sensor, or dodgy voltage regulator (although dodgy
 regulators will almost always give a high reading, not a low one).  Again, the
 only way to check that I can think of is to replace a component and see what
 happens.  I wonder if TRGB would let you take a handful of those old temp
 gauges and try a selection to see what happens...   Hmm, not sure about that!
 Could even be a poor connection between the gauge and the sensor - the sensor
 works by increasing electrical resistance as the temperature falls, so if you
 introduce some extra resistance via a poor connection the engine would appear
 to be cold.  Try cleaning up the connections nicely at the gauge and the
 sensor.

Cold engines are a little less efficient that correctly-temperatured ones, but
 at least it gives you a nice feeling of security!

Best wishes,

Richard & Daffy

///