Re: Valances and LRP

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valances and LRP
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:30:59 +0100
In article <"070193B000E5605E*/c=us/admd= /prmd=Cat/o=NOTES/s=Gosling/g=
Richard/i=B/"@MHS>, Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
writes
>Hi Mike,
>
>Valances - I'm not sure if these serve any particularly useful purpose, other
> than preventing water/mud spray from the wheels from spraying all over the
> engine.  Could be useful around the distributor - I've ground to a halt
> shortly after driving through a puddle, but then I do have a (rather tatty)
> valance that side!  The valances either side of the radiator (I noticed you
> have one) are rather more useful, guiding air through the radiator to improve
> cooling, although you don't seem to have any problems on that front anyway.

I must admit that I'm bemused about the efficiency of the cooling system
on Carly.   On Saturday, when it was over 80 in the shade, the needle on
the temperature gauge went just past the middle.   When the weather is
cooler, and I'm on an open road, it rarely gets above a quarter of the
way up.   I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to know why Carly
seems so much more efficient than many of her stable-mates.

>LRP - I'll second the advice not to mix different brands at the pumps, or
> different brands of additive.

Noted.

>Also, I have already found one BP garage that has stopped supplying LRP.  How
> much longer will the other ones last...?

I suspect we will all have to move to adding our own additives to
Unleaded sooner or later (or buy modified heads for our engines). :-(

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///