Re: Front Spring Shortening

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front Spring Shortening
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:26:30 -0400 (EDT)
I've said my piece and firmly believe it.  For anyone not caring about the
circumstances, go ahead
and use a torch.  Just don't come crying to me when
the spring turns to mush.

Joe

Nolan Penney wrote:

> I am quite experienced in this, having been a welder for decades now, and
having cut many a coil
spring with a torch.  There is absolutely no way for the heat of the cutting
torch to penetrate the
several feet of steel that make up the length of a coil spring.  As I have
said, the heat of the
torch will penetrate but about two inches.  Those two inches will collapse,
and in doing so help the
spring seat on its perch, distributing the load.

> I have done this a number of times over the years, and am well experienced
in it Joe; clearly you
are not.

> That statement is patently wrong!  Unless you use heat sycncs, the heat
will
> permeate the spring and
> ruin it.

///