Re: Front Spring Shortening

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Spring Shortening
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 06:27:30 -0400
I am quite experienced in this, having been a welder for decades now, and
having cut many a coil spring with a torch.  There is absolutely no way for the
heat of the cutting torch to penetrate the several feet of steel that make up
the length of a coil spring.  As I have said, the heat of the torch will
penetrate but about two inches.  Those two inches will collapse, and in doing
so help the spring seat on its perch, distributing the load.

I have done this a number of times over the years, and am well experienced in
it Joe; clearly you are not.

>>> Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> 05/16 12:05 AM >>>

That statement is patently wrong!  Unless you use heat sycncs, the heat will
permeate the spring and
ruin it.

///