Re: Front Spring Shortening - a quote from a proffesional

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Spring Shortening - a quote from a proffesional
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:54:59 -0400
It's an amazing thing Paul, but I'm capable of doing more then one thing in my
life.
Yes, I can truly walk and chew gum at the same time.  :-)  Walking and carrying
a cup of coffee is a different matter!
Thanks for the compliement about my being a professional welder, but my
certifications expired years ago.  I don't consider myself a professional
welder, and never present myself as one.

The transition area is *not* that part of the spring unaffected by the heat of
the torch.  It is the area between the thoroughly heated area that completely
loses temper, and the area which was not heated enough to affect temper in any
way.  Hence the name transition area.  This area is typically weak, mostly
because of inconsistencies in thermal formation.  However it's at the end of
the coil, being supported by the spring perch.  Hence at least part of the
reason for not trying to cut a coil or two out of the middle of the spring.

Since tempering a spring requires heat, I suspect you're misquoting or
misunderstanding Hagerstown and Fallsway  about running from anyone who
mentions heat.  You did notice the tempering ovens in the Fallsway shop while
your were there, didn't you?  It takes heat to make a good spring.

The problem that does show up is people trying to adjust their springs with
heat.  That's a completely different matter.  Two biggies I can think of are
heating them in the kitchen oven while mounted in a compressor (this is in Fred
Puhns book "How to Make Your Car Handle"), or running a torch up and down the
coil while mounted in the car.  The former tends to cause ever increasing sag
in use.  The latter creates all kinds of stress points leading to breakage.  If
someone ever suggests doing those things, yes, run!

Did you go to Lenny's Deli for lunch when you were getting your springs
re-arched?  It isn't cheap, but oh man is it good!

>>> "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com> 05/16 8:46 AM >>>
So now what is it... are you a Fuel Depot Inspector
as stated earlier...or a seasoned professional
multi-decade welder?

///