Re: Front Spring Shortening

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <lukage@home.com>
Subject: Re: Front Spring Shortening
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:49:02 -0400
Normally what that means is using a spacer block to relocate the spring upwards
off its differential mount by an inch.  I have not done this personally on a
Spitfire, so I don't know if there are any clearance problems or not in doing
it.  This drops the tail of the car down an inch (same as the spacer
thickness), increasing the negative camber of the rear tires.  The technique is
essentially the same thing pickup trucks do to change ground clearance, using
spacers between the springs and the axles.  The only thing that concerns me
with Tims advise is the combining of the spacer with the dearching of the
spring.  Doing them both you're going to have the arse end of the car down on
the asphalt I would think.  I've never asked Tim to clarify if he means do one
or the other, or does he really mean do both.

And yes, a sagging rear spring does the same thing as dearching.  It gets the
rear of the car down, increasing the negative camber of the rear wheels.  A
sagging spring is usually a weak spring though, so your rate is less then
optimal.

>>> "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com> 05/16 11:54 AM >>>

Does anyone have a definition of "Blocking the rear spring up an inch"?
(And does 70,000 miles of sagging count as de-arching?)

///