Re: Importing car from Canada to USA

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Importing car from Canada to USA
From: Chris DeStaffany <destaff@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:08:37 -0700 (PDT)

Went through this a couple of years ago.  At that
time, the car needed to be to American specs for the
year of car, ie 1975 for 1975 USA.  If the car was
over 25 years old it was a whole lot easier. There
were also differences on which Provinces and which
State.  Again, at that time, US customs would look at
it and deterimine if it was probably to spec.  In most
cases, I'm told, if the car is more than 25 years old,
they didn't care.  Here in Washington, you'd then have
to go and have it inspected, which here meant that it
wasn't stolen.

 I've been told that the rules have been changed but
I'm not totally convinced that's true.  When I tried
to figure out what to do,I basically got different
stories from everybody.  I eventually go hold of all
the official brochures, one  good one from US Customs
and put the whole thing together.  Ask a lot of
people, including what your state requires and then
call customs where you want to bring it accross.

A diffuculty that I didn't see was with BC insurance.
There, it turns out that the plates goes with the
owner, so when you sell the car you have to give the
plates back to the previous owner and you can't get
temporary plates if you're not a resident of BC.  We
came up with the ideas of filling out a sales receipt
and dating it a certain time later in the afternoon.
Then I drove down the highway and pulled off right
before customs and waited for time to pass.  Fianally,
I got in line.  By the time I got up to the booth, I
owned the car.  Then mailed the plates back the next
day.

Call everybody and take everything you hear with a
grain of salt.

Chris DeStaffany
--- Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou