Re: Rev <4000rpm sorted, so now the overdrive

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: Re: Rev <4000rpm sorted, so now the overdrive
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:54:29 +0100
Richard B Gosling wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I'm guessing that you don't have an overdrive at the moment (I could be
>  wrong!).

Correct, now the car is running well it would be nice to be able to keep the
revs
down on those longer runs!

> If so, you need to replace the gearbox as well as acquiring the

>  overdrive.

The gearbox I have is sweet, very smooth in all gears, In some ways it would be
shame to get rid of it, but if it was a swap for another recon then I could
handle
that..

>  In fact, I think it may just be the output shaft that needs
>  replaced, and an adaptor added to the back (someone who knows better please
>  correct me!), so you could open up the 'box and change those yourself, I
>  guess.

I would like this option, but I think I would be inclined to let someone else do
it...
Mind you this would be the first time I have let anyone else touch the car!

> I've never opened a manual gearbox (I once disassembled an auto box
>  for my work), so I don't really know what's involved.  You also need a
>  replacement, shorter, prop-shaft, plus O/D wiring harness (pennies), and the
>  switch for the gearknob.

Yep these ancilaries seem pretty easy to get second hand, its just the overdrive
itself which I'm puzzled about..
Do I buy one from the TSSC back pages and then get it reconditioned myself, or
buy
a recon unit from one of the big suppliers? can an overdrive be worn beyond
repair?

> I think that's it.
>
> As for where to go, I don't know who to suggest beyond the ususal suspects.
>  TRGB don't carry these things in stock, although they can get them for you
>(in
>  time...), or they may have some working, but not re-con, second-hand units,
>as
>  might Manvers Triumph, the far side of Bury St. Edmunds if you haven't found
>  them yet.  Otherwise, Rimmer Bros. or Moss are your main options.  I got a
>  re-con box from Rimmer Bros. (a bit pricier than Moss I think, but I needed
>it
>  urgently on a Saturday morning, they both close at lunchtime, and Lincoln is
>  closer than London!) - it's generally been OK, although it still seems rather
>  stiff after a couple of months, particularly changing down from 4th to 3rd.
>
> Installation is a bit of a bugger with one person, simply because of the
>weight
>  of the whole thing - strangely the bell-housing seems to be the heaviest bit,
>  and that is in the hardest point to lift, of course!

Yeh this is a bit of a bugger as I have had the body off and that would have
been
an ideal time, but cash was limiting, and it was overdrive OR respray! needless
say the paint was quite important..

> It can be done - I have
>  proven that - but I wouldn't recommend it.  If you do not have another pair
>of
>  hands available, I could be pursuaded to drop by and give you a hand when the
>  time comes...

Very Kind, I'll definately keep it in mind!

> I happen to like Old Speckled Hen (yes, I know it was named
>  after an MG)...

nice choice, surely you should be drinking "Spitfire" instead
Cheers
Tim

--
Tim Dafforn