1978 Spitfire radiator braces

To: "'spitfires-digest@autox.team.net'" <spitfires-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1978 Spitfire radiator braces
From: "James, Ray" <RayJ@civilmail.tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:40:32 -0500
I've begun straightening bent parts in the front of the 1978 1500 cc
Spitfire that
my son crunched last June.

The bonnet is toast (I'm still looking for a replacement).

Damage beneath the bonnet is minor, thankfully.  The radiator was pushed to
the left and
rear about an inch, nearly touching the fan.  My question concerns the left
side
radiator brace, a tubular (solid bar?) that braces the left radiator
mounting bracket
to the left shock tower.

The right side brace is straight, but the left side brace has a small kink
in it a few
inches from the bottom end.  I can't determine if this kink is damage or is
the way
it is supposed to be.  Will someone please look at the left brace and advise
me
whether this brace has a small bend, or is straight.

And, again, anyone in Texas or nearby with a 1978 bonnet, front bumper, etc.
for sale,
please contact me with details.

Thanks,
Ray James
Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.                      Phone (409) 845-7436
Director of Student Services                       Fax (409) 845-3410
Civil Engineering Department            E-mail: r-james@tamu.edu
Texas A&M University
3136-TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3136