Re: Rev <4000rpm sorted, so now the overdrive

To: td214 <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Rev <4000rpm sorted, so now the overdrive
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 05 Sep 2000 02:54:54 -0500
Tim,

I don't really have a feel for what is the better route to go - getting a
 second-hand o/d and having it reconditioned yourself, or just going straight
 to the big dealers.  My instinct (could be wrong) is that sorting it yourself
 would be likely to be cheaper, if you can find someone who could do the work -
 I'm not sure how many people there are around who can do o/d reconditioning.

The other issue is surcharges from the big suppliers - there is usually a
 surcharge for re-conditioned units, subject to you returning a repairable unit
 to them.  I have a feeling that, in some cases, they may even refuse to supply
 a re-conditioned unit if you haven't got one to swap, if my memory serves me
 right Rimmers told me they would not sell me a g/box unless I had one to give
 them in return.  But then, when I tried to sell them the spare non-o/d g/box
 that I have lying around, they weren't interested at all, said they had loads
 of them and it was of no use to them - so if they have so many spare why won't
 they sell one direct?  Hmmm...  maybe it was someone else who wouldn't sell
 one without a return, my memory is starting to get foggy as I approach the
 great old age of 30....

Just had a peer in Yellow Pages - there actually seem to be plenty of places
 that do re-conditioning of gearboxes locally, and a couple that mention doing
 o/ds too - so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to do it.  I'd phone
 for a quote, and compare to Rimmers/Moss prices.

Offer to lend a hand still stands, but not for the next couple of weekends, I'm
 busy...  Yes, I should be drinking Spitfire - actually I've never tried it,
 but I'd like to, but Old Speckled Hen is more widely available...

Richard and Daffy