Re: 1967 Triumph 2000?

To: <PBowen9685@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1967 Triumph 2000?
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 07:59:20 -0700
Well... let me inform you about the Triumph 2000 sedans...

They were manufactured from 1964 through 1975, although in North America
they were imported only for 1966 and 1967. The car is referred to as the BIG
Triumph, as it is the largest car they built. The 4 door luxury saloon was
equipped with a 2litre inline 6 (GT6 got it too) or the 2.5l inline 6 (Ala
TR5/250 and TR6) There was even a2.5PI version of the car and it was
produced in Saloon (sedan) and Estate (Station wagon) forms.

They are completely unibody construction, have macpherson strut front
suspension, independent rear suspension, power assisted brakes, robust
engine and transmission, and are wonderful highway cruisers (provided you
have automatic or overdrive). The body was designed to house the TR8 engine,
although it never received it. It eventually became the basis for the STAG,
with only slight modifications. It was the rally champion in 1963, 1964 and
1965.

I have one of these (a 1966) and it is a lovely car. It puts the modern BMW
and Lexus midsize luxoboxes to shame, and drives flawlessly on modern
roads... now, if I could only find a decent quiet exhaust for it...

Wayne Burton
1963 Triumph Spitfire4
1966 Triumph 2000 (Mk I)
1954 Austin A40 Somerset