RE: Cylinder head interchangeability

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, Mostrom.Paul@principal.com, CraigS@iewc.com
Subject: RE: Cylinder head interchangeability
From: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:45:22 +0100

I don't know which cars had flat-topped pistons and which had dished-tops, but I
do know that to convert the 1300 engine into the 1500, Triumph increased the
stroke, and not the bore.

Logic tells me that if you increase the stroke, and leave all other factors the
same, then a) then engine size will increase, and b) the compression will
increase.  This would seem to confirm Craig's thoughts that simply putting a
head from a high-comp 1500 onto a 1300, without changing the pistons or milling
the head, will not affect the compression.  If you want to increase compression,
you either have to replace dished pistons with flat-top pistons, or mill the
head.

All this is theory, because I've never done anything like this in practice, so
don't be surprised if someone comes forward to say this is wrong!

Dean