RE: Cylinder head interchangeability

To: SPITFIRES <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cylinder head interchangeability
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:27:24 -0400
Message text written by "Mostrom, Paul"
>Now can anyone out there tell me.  Can the '76 flat top pistons be put
into a
'79 1500 engine?  I have a spare engine that I plan on rebuilding for my
'77
and I don't intend to build it stock.<

conect  one piston and put a lump of play dough on the top but not enough
to fill the dome in the head. use an old head gasket and torque the head
down. disconect the timing chain.   bring that one piston to TDC and spin
the cam shaft carefully. if  it binds then you may have hit the piston.
remove the head and the play dough will show you the clearence between the
valves and piston. as i remember the clearance with the piston and valves
open to max should be about .200".  (from hot rodding my Jag 9 to 1
pistons) to measure how much I can remove from the head safely. Might want
to go to higher compression some day, yah know....

if I be wrong I know some one will correct me. 8*)

The arthur       >;-} :4 O:-)-}8<
www.anedieco.com/tr.htm
kit car aka 69 GT6
82 XJ6  Jaguar   (Jennifer)
boxy thing on wheels aka ford aerostar   (boxy lady??? 8-} )