Re: Cylinder Head Interchangeability

To: PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil, susan@bearcom.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head Interchangeability
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:05:56 EDT
In a message dated 9/8/1999 11:41:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil writes:

>  or just place proper shims under the rocker pedestals (with the correct
>  holes for oil passage)  This is quite often cheaper with the same effect.
>
>  Patrick Bowen
I don't think that's a proper fix.  Then the geometry on the valve is
changed.
I think this should go to a proper engine builder.  THis list is giving some
terrible information here...

I milled 0.100" of my 1968 Mk3 head (nothing off the block) and used the
stock pushrods. The Comprep manual called for 0.110"
(rest of my engine specs? http://members.aol.com/cwnicholls/spitfire02a.html)

Also,
Get a copy of the Spitfire version, British Leyland Competition Preparation
Manual, written by Mike Barratt.  That tells all the hop-up engine tricks, at
least as known in the 70's. And it's tried and true information.  Read it and
then ask some more informed questions.

Clark