Re: Dual Carb Project flambeau

To: rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us
Subject: Re: Dual Carb Project flambeau
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 16:20:14 -0400
Hi, Rick.

Depending on the particular lid casting on the HS-4s, I suggest you
look for a small aluminium sheet-metal cover pressed onto one of the
fuel pipes (or the fuel pipe, if you are dealing with the carb
furthest from the fuel pump.)  Beneath this cover is a teeny hole --
the vent hole you seek.  Pull off the fuel pipes, remove the lid from
the carb, then "slide" the cover off (it has little barbs that reach
in, so it only comes off with a little persuasion.)  Check the float
level, check the needle valve seating and the plunger, renewing and
adjusting as necessary, and clean the hole that the cover covers and
the inside of the cover.  You should now be good to go.

Unless you have a late model carb with a vent tube to the charcoal
canister.  I don't recall the HS-4 had those, though.

But if the fuel is vaporising between the pump and the carbs, this
won't prevent the overflow of fuel into the carb throat; the pressure
from vaporising fuel in the pipes is then forcing fuel past the float
valve.  All the vapour venting in the world from the float-bowls won't
help this.  This is more likely a problem with the valve float, float
setting or the needle and/or its seating.

Donald.

> From: "richard stieg" <rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us>
> Subject: Re: Dual Carb Project flambeau
> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:17:48 -0500