Re: rear end clicking/thunking noise

To: wizardz <wizardz@toad.net>, Winnie Olmer <who@sover.net>,
Subject: Re: rear end clicking/thunking noise
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:33:45 +0100 (BST)

You could also fit oversize circlips. The Hardy Sicer
UJ's come with 3 different sizes - yellow that are the
thinnest, orange that are thicker, and blue that are
the thickest - so that you can set up the correct
preload.
--- wizardz <wizardz@toad.net> wrote:

> On some replacement u-joints the clips they supply
> are thinner than
> the thickness of the groove they go in to hold the
> u-joint
> in place. The clicking could be...as has been
> described here
> on the list before, the joint slipping from end to
> end up against
> the clips. The u-joint bearings are tight, it the
> entire cap and X that is
> moving within the yokes. You can try removing the
> clips, and placing
> thin (coke can cut ups) spacers behind the clips to
> take up the
> free space.
>
> Paul Tegler
> 1973 MGBGT - Daily Driver
> 1975 Spitfire - in Cherry shape
> 1980 Spitfire - in re-hab
> 1978 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
> wizardz@toad.net
> http://www.teglerizer.com
> (see menu for MG Automobiles  and Triumph
> Automobiles)

===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299