Re: rear end clicking/thunking noise

To: Winnie Olmer <who@sover.net>
Subject: Re: rear end clicking/thunking noise
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 07:52:31 -0500
Winnie,

This should be in an FAQ (frequently asked questions). Problem is, it's
too elusive, as you now know. I just lived this tail-chase for the last
few months.

The noise is most likely a ujoint or a bearing in the differential. I
replaced all 3 ujoints, an axle and the differential and $600 or $700
the noise either did not go away or moved! The noise was finally
elimated just yesterday after having my axles rebuilt (for another $300
or so) and putting the original differential back in.

I paid a mechanic, who could also not find the noise and recommended a
new differential, to replace the diff and it made no difference. I was a
tad upset. I would suggest starting with replacing the ujoints again - I
know you found no play, but this costs little more than labor if you do
it yourself, then the "consumable" parts (bearings, hub etc) from
outward in. Only then should you pay a mechanice bug bucks to replace
such a large part, not to mention the cost of the part itself. The
mechanice couldn't trace down the noise with a stethoscope and made some
best guesses - that cost me a lot of money - don't get stuck, too.

Good luck,

Vic