Re: The dreaded unleaded problem

To: "Sue" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: The dreaded unleaded problem
From: "Jonathan Miles" <jem@clara.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 20:38:46 +0100
Your best approach will be to use an additive approved by the Federation of
British Historic Vehicle Clubs.  They organised a series of independent
scientific tests of lead substitutes that were carried out by the Motor
Industry Research Association.  In the initial tests, only six out of 12
products tested passed the MIRA tests including  Millers VSP, Red Line,
Superblend and valvemaster.  The FBHVC is planning further tests and has
invited other manufacturers to participate. Many will not as they know their
products  will fail.  Personally, (if I wasn't changing to an Unleaded
cylinder head) I would choose  one of these approved products and stick with
it.  Don't touch any of the "pellets", "in line fuel treatment" etc with a
barge pole.  The manufacturers are under no obligation to provide any
scientific evidence that they work and you'll be 10,000 miles or so down the
road before you realise that your valve seats have receded.

A few years ago I followed John Kippings advice and just ran my car on
unleaded. I have observed since then that the valve seats have suffered
quite badly.  However, this was only after 25,000 miles of hard driving,
including high revving motorway miles. To be honest, the valve guides needed
renewing due to normal wear sooner than the valve seats.  If your engine is
well used and you do low, slow mileage then maybe this is a good approach.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Miles
Spitfire 1500