The dreaded unleaded problem

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: The dreaded unleaded problem
From: "Sue" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:04:48 +0100
Here in the UK we're coming up to our own Millennium bugbear, as of 1/1/00
there's to be no more leaded petrol at the pumps.

There are as many opinions as there are alternatives so I'm asking advice
from the oracle - the list!

I realise the main sure fire way is to convert the engine with an unleaded
head but I can almost see the bank manager shaking his head, the current
state of my finances rules that out for the foreseeable future.

As I understand it the options include the following:
1 - changing the head
2 - changing the valve seats
3 - putting a 'thing' in the petrol tank
4 - putting an in-line 'thing' in the fuel line
5 - putting additives in with the fuel each time
6 - using Lead replacement Petrol
7 - just putting in unleaded

My feelings on these options are:
1 & 2 - as stated before - I really can't afford it yet
3 & 4 - how can they possibly work?
5 & 6 - there are so many options & I undestand that once you choose one
type (potassium, sodium, manganese or phosphorus) you have stick with it. As
I've just read an article which stated that 'All work on the proposed
British Standards for Lead Replacement Petrol has been ceased' apparently
because no-one can decide which way to go, how should I be able to decide
which to use?
7 - According to Kippings catalogue 'the simplest way to convert your car to
run on unleaded fuel is to put it into the tank'.

So far I've always had good advice from Kippings and my intention is to do
the latter. I believe my engine to be original so it should have a decent
lead memory and I don't do great mileage or drive at high speed. Presumably
a few months into next year there should be better information as to which
options work the best.

Remember, I'm the 'mechanically ignorant' one so please be gentle with me
and my level of knowledge but I'd really appreciate hearing some other views
on this.

Sue

'68 MkIII

PS. I tried a tankful of unleaded out of curiosity a few months ago and I
didn't notice any difference in it's running or performance.