Re: Brake Grease?

To: "Davies William-qswi646" <QSWI646@email.mot.com>,
Subject: Re: Brake Grease?
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:48:24 -0400
Davies William-qswi646 stated:

> Copper grease is fine for lubricating the mechanical components in the
> braking system, ie., hold down pins, springs, sliders, adjusters and
between
> the anti-squeal shins and pads, however I always use the rubber grease
> included with the rebuild kits for anything in contact with the hydraulic
> side of the system. I've always assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the
copper
> was suspended in a petrochemical base which could attack rubber. I'll
take a
> look at the components on my tub of "copperslip" when I get home this
> evening,
>       Bill Davies.

Absolutely...anti-seize and copper grease are only for the mechanical
parts. This thread started out talking about brake grease and there has
been discussion of the red (rubber grease) for the hydraulic bits and
lithium, anti-seize and now copper grease for the metal, sliding
components. All of these latter ones should certainly be kept away from the
hydraulics and braking surfaces!

Keith