RE: Brake Grease?

To: "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Subject: RE: Brake Grease?
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:17:22 +0100 (BST)
--- "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
wrote:

> On my rebuild kits for my Clutch Slave Cylinder, and
> for my rear brakes,
> they both had grease packets with them, I assume
> this is rubber grease.  1.
> Do you mean to tell me that this is not compatible
> with DOT 5 fluid (since
> that is what I am converting to) and how do you use
> it, I assumed it is used
> to lubricate the rubber parts during installation,
> to keep them from
> scoring. But from what Andy said they it is used to
> fill the dust cap.  What
> is the Deal?

When I converted to DOT5 fluid, I replaced all the
seals as a matter of course. Building the cylinders
and master cylinders up, I soaked the seals in the
DOT5, and lubricated the bores with the DOT5. Once the
seals were in the bores, I wiped all the surfaces
clean and lubricated the exposed bore, piston and
inside the dust covers with the rubber grease that
came with the seals. This way, the bores are
lubricated and also the DOT5 does not mix with the
rubber grease. I have not had any problems from the
brakes in the 11 months  and 12140 miles since.

In the case of the contact areas between the rear
cylinders and the backplate, I used some anti seize
(copper) grease.

Hope this helps.
===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299