Re:Re: LHD Glove boxes

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Re: LHD Glove boxes
From: mrobertson@celcorp.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:40:26 -0600
Mike & Carsten,

Thanks for the concern for my personal safety.

In the original (factory) configuration there are two steel angles covered
with about 3/4" of rigid cell foam called "crash pads" that run along the
bottom edges of the gloveboxes. The crashpads are screwed to tabs welded to
the panel just in front of the door, and to a bracket screwed to the metal
panel behind the dash.

During an accident, the driver or passenger (if not properly restrained by
a seatbelt) could travel forward and hit this crashpad. Do you think the
crash pad would do more or less damage than a replacement glovebox made
from .40-thou commercial-grade (read soft) aluminum with properly finished
edges?

I personally think the crashpad would do more damage that the replacement
gloveboxes, but we will never know because I am leaving the factory crash
protection in place.

As for rusting, mine will be aluminum (please don't start a thread about
galvanic corrosion!), but a steel glovebox would be just a likely to rust
as anything else inside my GT6.

As for "earthing-off"... well, golly, I never thought of that... I guess
I'll just be really, really careful...

Now, anybody actually have pics or measurements?? :-)

Mark Robertson
Edmonton, Alberta
1969 GT6+