Re: Grinding Gears (& request)

To: Walt Fogle <foglew@hotmail.com>, dugan127@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: Grinding Gears (& request)
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:49:52 -0700 (PDT)
On my Mk I and Mk II, I was always careful to install
the slave cylinder with the inlet port 'up', and the
bleeder down, so that air bubbles inside it would
rise.
In this configuration, I was always able to purge the
air by PTSOOI(Pumping The Shit Out Of It), waiting 5
minutes, then repeating.
BTW, this is why the master cylinders on Spitfires/GT6
are angled instead of horizontal, it allows the air to
rise, and you can purge the M/C just by 'PTSOOI'.
An alternative is a remote bleed line. You can see
these on the hydraulic throwout bearings sold by
Tilton, et al. After all, you do not want to remove
the bell housing each time you need to bleed the
clutch.
On a Spitfire, remove the bleeder screw, and replace
it with another piece of brake line or hose. Bring the
free end of the line/hose back to the firewall, and
use an adaptor or fitting on the end to attach the
bleed screw. Then you can remote bleed the clutch
cylinder.