Re: Fibreglass Panels in the UK

To: "Phil Johnson" <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>, <caskitt@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fibreglass Panels in the UK
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 23:30:15 +0100

>As for the safety aspects, then I suppose that there
>will be some compromise in the impact resistance, but
>you would have to consult the supplier on the quality
>of the items.

I agree, if your fitting them to the doors you should maybe think of fitting
somthing like SIPS, this was fitted to Late US Spitfires.  The bonnet will
also require lowered or softer springs.  As for the winds, I've just seen
the price and I don't blame you.

I have just got myself a MIG and am doing MOT patching at the moment, the
theory is I learn with this and buy good pannels and fit them over weekends
when the car is not being used.  After that I will need to get it resprayed,
I am in two minds on how to approch it.  I could prime it, and then use a
cheap gloss, wate and see if I get any rust through in two years if not have
a pro job.  Or respray myself even if it meens going to france to get the
paint, or get a pro job.

More than likly I will end up with a tin of Zink primer, a paint brush and a
random orbit sander.  Then I'll paint on a thick coat of normal primer, and
then get a pro job on the top coat.  Of course I'll investigate what primer
to use before doing the job, having the coats react could cost alot of
money.

Anyone seen a better value random orbit sander than the 40 quid skill one
you can get in some DIY places.  I know Skill is Bosh's no frils range, and
I presume it will last like the other Bosh things I have.

James

PS,

Where are you both in the UK?  I'm SU404902 Grove, neer Abingdon Oxford
area, south of the Thames or Isis, Abindons mostly north:-).