Sympathy (and new pistons) needed

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Sympathy (and new pistons) needed
From: Dean Rayner <deanr@saville.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:14:55 +0100
Hello one and all!

My MKIII has failed it's annual MOT.  It failed on emissions.
Excessive black smoke!  Ouch!

Engine out...head off...pistons out....and WOW!

Every piston was missing it's top ring and there was a half inch
square piece of piston missing, extending out of the top ring slot on
both sides of each piston.

            __
           /  \
----------    ----------
----------    ----------
           \__/

Question.  Where did the rings go?  The bores seem fine.

I plan on having the block re-bored and fitting a recon crank at the same time.
I intend to fit a new clutch and oil pump while the engine is out, is
there anything else you would recommend doing while it is out?

The teeth on the flywheel are a bit worn, has anyone successfully
replaced the ring gear, or should I consider a recon flywheel.  Is it
possible to just turn the gear over and re-fit?

Many, many questions. But I'm sure you have the answers.

Dean