Re: Sympathy (and new pistons) needed

To: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Sympathy (and new pistons) needed
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:43:16 +0100
>The re-scrub with parraffin, folowed by hot water and soap powder, dryed
>then after that use parrafin or light oil.
>Strip everything, use pipe cleaners to get the gunk out of the oil gallery.

If you don't mind asking a pharmacist or trundling round a supermarket with
them in your trolley or basket, there's a better item of equipment than a
pipe-cleaner. Standard Triumph's Service Depts in Coventry and London had a
special deal with local pharmaceutical wholesalers and used Tampax. I won't
dwell on the advantages, but after a good blast with pressurised paraffin
(kero) these *essential* commodities were just the thing for the final
cleaning out of oilways. There's a story about a new cashier at the London
facility who conscientiously transcribed EVERYTHING from the workshop
chargeable items to the customer's invoice verbatim, instead of just putting
a price for 'consumables.' If that wasn't bad enough, it just happened that
the car's owner was a woman who flatly refused to believe this wasn't a joke
at her expense - and was a feminist to boot.

Jonmac