Re: Greetings...and request for advice.

To: "Frank & Sherry White" <whitef@midusa.net>,
Subject: Re: Greetings...and request for advice.
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:17:18 +0100
>4) I am told that there is a pair of tow hooks that extend down from the
>frame in the front that look much more substantial than the bumper.  Does
>anyone know how far apart these are?  Maybe an RV style towbar would hook
up
>there?

Frank, You seem to have a dilemma. As far as the front 'eyes' are concerned,
if these are the ones I'm thinking you mean, they are NOT suitable for long
distance towing. Their original purpose was either for lashing the car while
on a vehicle transporter or for hooking to the deck of a ship while in
transit. Essentially, they are to stop the car 'leaping.' They are not
suitable for towing over a long distance. They might be OK for a very short
distance and at a very low speed but not for the sort of distance you have
in mind and the certain snatching imposed on them between towcar and the
road surface as a whole. Less than a month ago I was witness 'eyes' such as
these used for gently pulling a car out of a small lake when the owner had
left the handbrake off. The inertia was such that the 'eyes' came straight
out - bringing some of the host steel around them with it - and that car was
less than 2 years old.
In your position, I think I'd bite the bullet and accept that to pull a car
over 1000 miles (when its wheeled state is something of an unknown) is
asking for trouble. Put it on a proper car trailer - even if you do have to
drive at 30mph and use a tank full of gas every 100 miles

Jonmac