Re: Spitfire cross-country touring

To: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire cross-country touring
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:07:08 -0400
Victor B. Michael wrote:

> greetings,
>
> have any of you taken a week off from work, packed up the car and hit
> the road?
> i know of people in our local club (ISOA) who did this for the VTR thing
> a couple of weeks ago.
> one advantage they had was traveling in groups.
>
> i feel like i'm getting closer to having a more reliable spitfire and it
> seems the summer is slipping away already.
>
> i've queried VTR about the "travelers assistance program" in sort of a
> mock-preparation for this wild hair i've seemed to acquired.
>
> i'd like to ask if any of you have any advice to offer me - outside of
> the usual "tow a parts car along for the trip" ;)
>
> i'm thinking of a few destinations; lake michigan circle tour (north of
> chicago), a trip to toronto, a trip along the mississippi river or maybe
> southeast into the smokey mountains.
>
> some things i'm considering are routes (i'd like to stay on country
> roads, but afraid of being stranded), road fatigue, lodging/camp
> grounds, distance, ability to get spares on the road if necessary.  if
> any of you have gone through this on a solo car tour, i'd like to hear
> of the experience and again, any advice.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> vic
If you take the trip to Toronto route and need any assistance while near
London, Ontario, feel free to call. If you don't hear from some other
Toronto Triumph Club members who live in Toronto, let me know and I'll give
you some names and numbers. If you do it in September, British Car Day in
Bronte Park (Mississauga, Ontario) is on September 19 and will likely have
over 1000 cars of various British marques. Some claim it is the largest
"one day" British car show in North America. It also never rains on British
Car Day!!!

Cheers
Keith

    _       _