Re: Autochoke on ZS 150C

To: "Ali Mohempour" <ali@ucla.edu>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autochoke on ZS 150C
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:23:13 -0700
>Ali wrote

>Got the rebuild kit from Moss, first of all the gaskets don't seem to have
>the same quality as the original ones.  The original ones where all black
>and make out of some thick impermeable plastinc stuff.  The Moass gaskets
>are all different colors and look like paper cut outs, anyways.

Moss Sux

>Q1. Why doesn't the kit contain the gasket for the deceleration bypass part
>(the part with the spring in it)?

Because according to BL and Emissions testers, these are non-replacable,
non-adjustable
devices. they want you to spend the 80 bucks on a new one, TRF and VB sell
the diaphragms.

>Q2.  I opened the autochokeand I see there are two piston things at 90
>degree angles to each other.  The one that has the three screws and gasket
>on it moves back and forth, but the other one does not move at all.
>Shouldn't it move since the mechanism inside should rotate?  Is it seized?

Ya shouldn't have touched it without a factory manual, or a Stromberg
service manual. There is
a lever inside which when depressed will allow yhe mechanism to rotate. Be
careful when assembling
this again, if it isn't put right, the choke wont work. I can email scanned
pages if required - but it sounds
like you need a good factory manual!

>Ever since I bought my  '78 spitfire last month, my learning curve about
car
>mechanics has risen exponentioally. . .

Its when you stop learning that you are in trouble, you'll start inventing
things to do!

Wayne Burton
1963 Triumph Spitfire4
1966 Triumph 2000