RE: Need repair manual recommendation

To: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>,
Subject: RE: Need repair manual recommendation
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:33:36 -0500
Gary,

There are two repair manuals typically available... the Haynes and the
"Robert Bentley (or just "Bentley)" series.

Haynes is "based off a complete tear down and rebuild"... the problem is
that the one I'm looking at right now for the Spitfire covers model years
1962-1981.  Which year car did they tear down?  :-)    In Haynes defense
they realize they're writing for the non-professional and will recommend
some good work arounds for the proper factory tools.   And the shorter the
model run for the car, the better it is.  I do truly recommend the manual
for the '72-'75 Opel Manta.... for those with that affliction.

The Bentley is based off of the factory repair book and literally it's how
the dealers/repair centers should have done the work.  It shows the proper
factory tools at the end of each section and assumes you have access to all
of them.  It's also much more model year specific, I happen to be looking at
my "Complete Official Triumph Spitfire Mk III, MK IV, &1500 1968-1974"
manual... there's also a 'Spitfire 1500: 1975-1980" manual available that's
more appropriate to your car.

Haynes are available from $10-$15 depending upon where you buy them.. mine
is #113 (US) version, some autoparts chains can special order this manual,
or you can try some of the online book places.  Bentley manuals are
available from some of the usual suppliers (Moss or TRF or ???) and
typically run $40-$50.

Personally I like to have both... sometimes Haynes will provide an insight
to a job that the factory expected the professional to know already... and
sometimes there were enough changes that what Haynes details is not correct
for your year.  And don't forget this list when you find something that
neither explains well!

It's typical to find a Haynes in the trunk (or under the seat) of just about
any Triumph you buy.... yours must have had that option deleted?  :-)

Cheers,

Jim
"he who spends too much dollars on lbcs not have much sense left"