Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless drill/screw driver

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cordless drill/screw driver
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 08:45:03 -0800

--------------20FC66184F3DDE8BB2BA35D5

Others have said it, but I'll reiterate: Pick a battery/voltage, then
acquire the tools that go with it. If you get a cordless drill,
eventually you'll want a cordless impact 'wrench'--for lug nuts if
nothing else--a 'sawzall'  (equivalent), a circular saw, etc. Buy a
combo kit, with a battery and charger included, to start.

I went with DeWalt 20V 'XR' brushless, because of mostly positive
reviews and, whether it's merit or good product placement by the
marketeers (probably both), they seem to be the most popular among the
mechanics, farmers, etc. on the quasi-reality TV shows (Stihl gets the
nod for gas chainsaws, with Husqvarna second). I bought a cordless
DeWalt hedger, slightly discounted because it was a display model,
thinking "Sure, it'll do a couple bushes then quit," but we did my mom's
whole (large) backyard on a single 4Ah battery. The tool that drains the
battery fastest is my 4&1/2" angle grinder/sander/wirebrusher, probably
because it runs more continuously and has an 'open circuit' load; I get
about 20mins on a 4Ah battery.

I have a full complement of pneumatic and corded electric tools--many
are Harbor Freight, for occasional use--that are mostly collecting dust
these days; it's just not worth unraveling an extension cord or firing
up the compressor for a quick, one-off job . One of my faves is an old
Makita 9V driver/drill, which can't hold a candle for power to the
DeWalt--and replacement Chinese batteries are hit-or-miss--but it keeps
soldiering-on. Makita stuff is top-notch, but I haven't seen the variety
of tools--doesn't mean they don't have them--that DeWalt, Milwaukee,
etc. have on display.

Bob

On 1/11/2021 5:38 AM, Tim . wrote:
> I didn't say I was going to spend 320. I said "if necessary".
>
> I already have a mitre saw. In fact, I have a full shop including
> 80-gallon compressor, blast cabinet, parts washer, panel beating
> tools, and a boat load of hand tools.
>
> I simply want the best cordless drill/screw driver out there. My
> experience with ryobi is that they don't hold up to even how much I
> use them.
>
> tim

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    Others have said it, but I'll reiterate: Pick a battery/voltage,
    then acquire the tools that go with it. If you get a cordless drill,
    eventually you'll want a cordless impact 'wrench'--for lug nuts if
    nothing else--a 'sawzall'  (equivalent), a circular saw, etc. Buy a
    combo kit, with a battery and charger included, to start.<br>
    I went with DeWalt 20V 'XR' brushless, because of mostly positive
    reviews and, whether it's merit or good product placement by the
    marketeers (probably both), they seem to be the most popular among
    the mechanics, farmers, etc. on the quasi-reality TV shows (Stihl
    gets the nod for gas chainsaws, with Husqvarna second). I bought a
    cordless DeWalt hedger, slightly discounted because it was a display
    model, thinking "Sure, it'll do a couple bushes then quit," but we
    did my mom's whole (large) backyard on a single 4Ah battery. The
    tool that drains the battery fastest is my 4&amp;1/2" angle
    grinder/sander/wirebrusher, probably because it runs more
    continuously and has an 'open circuit' load; I get about 20mins on a
    4Ah battery.<br>
    I have a full complement of pneumatic and corded electric
    tools--many are Harbor Freight, for occasional use--that are mostly
    collecting dust these days; it's just not worth unraveling an
    extension cord or firing up the compressor for a quick, one-off job
    . One of my faves is an old Makita 9V driver/drill, which can't hold
    a candle for power to the DeWalt--and replacement Chinese batteries
    are hit-or-miss--but it keeps soldiering-on. Makita stuff is
    top-notch, but I haven't seen the variety of tools--doesn't mean
    they don't have them--that DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc. have on display.<br>
    Bob<br>
cite="mid:DS7PR19MB462953CC6861370FB060BC70B4AB0@DS7PR19MB4629.namprd19.prod.outlook.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}</style>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I didn't say I was going to spend 320. I said "if necessary". </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I already have a mitre saw. In fact, I have a full shop
        including 80-gallon compressor, blast cabinet, parts washer,
        panel beating tools, and a boat load of hand tools. </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I simply want the best cordless drill/screw driver out there. My
        experience with ryobi is that they don't hold up to even how
        much I use them. </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        tim</div>
          font-size:12pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        <hr tabindex="-1" style="display:inline-block; width:98%">
            face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b> John
            T. Blair <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:jblair1948@cox.net";>&lt;jblair1948@cox.net&gt;</a><br>
            <b>To:</b> Tim . <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com";>&lt;tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com&gt;</a><br>
            &gt;I have a $100 menards rebate check and a $60 rebate visa
            card that are both <br>
            &gt;burning a hole in my pocket. Also, I have the 15%
            "anything you can fit in the <br>
            &gt;bag" sale bag. I figure $160 is a good starting point
            and am willing to at least
            &gt;match that 160 or more if necessary to get the best out
            there right now. <br>
            ......<br>
            &gt;I am not worried about a little heavier than most as I
            am not contractor and this
            &gt;won't get used every day. I am just getting tired of
            dragging cords. I'd like <br>
            &gt;whatever I get to be the start of going all cordless
            (skill saw, Sawzall, etc).<br>
            Tim,<br>
            If you are not going to be using it every day, why do you
            want to spend a ton of<br>
            money on a cordless drill.  You say you have $160 burning a
            hole in your pocket<br>
            and are willing to put another $160 to that.  Man that
            $320!!!!  You can get a <br>
            Roybi or such for say $100.  Usually around Xmas which you
            just missed, you can<br>
            get a Roybi kit with a drill, saw, and another tool for less
            than $150.  That's where<br>
            I'd put the first $160.  Then I'd look at something else
            like a sliding compound <br>
            miter saw, or a nail gun or two, or some other tools.<br>
            Now that being said, let me say I buy a lot of Harbor
            Freight tools.  And for the<br>
            occassional use they work well.  I have a $25 ish
            oscillating saw, which I've used
            for something over 5 yrs.  It just died in the middle of a
            remodel in a bedroom.<br>
            So I bought another.  Especially if you don't know what
            you're going to use it for.<br>
            I also have a cheap $20 H.F. recriprocating saw that has
            paid for it's self.  If I'd<br>
            have bought a $100 to $300 version of either of these tools,
            I'd never had really<br>
            gotten my money worth out of the tool.  I'm 72 and it's
            getting harder and harder<br>
            every day for me to do a lot of the things I used to do,
            like bend over. :)  So why<br>
            should I pay for a tool that would last me for the next 30
            years or so, if I'm only<br>
            going to be around for another 10 years?<br>
            Spend a little less money on a tool, and get more of them.
            Especially if it not your<br>
            bread and butter.<br>
            John<br>
             2<br>