Re: [Shop-talk] Balancing wheels

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Balancing wheels
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 14:49:12 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=o2816seGWKBixYaGP90snM7n0adZhaQEhKxWWJ3EFI+EPUjge0TZxOB40cLa/sYMdnOJZyNCwDjyK9m3WA/xpyQ3NOuRfhC8W/S0GIpjQshzItGOJu6PNFqlgtqTJE2ZF67SQ4sV/tY3WBaIqju2SZfbSWUeI5bB3esGfH3HCTKofrstyJ1CN1Iv0kzqUy8QB/Lap/r2r0WDNRFKCI5/Mqaq0F65VkgCJIoxlH+AlSeOAuI9TQym/o8I9WUtL/SIu+vsqOssy3sr0XxaC0jJXRhzrH6zJkNtGN/ZCkD363RrMgBOII7cYTEZt5zQdalXQm2EtRQpPe/lJJbxQM3r0w==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------24AC70836FA782F2D3012439

New tires have had a dot indicating where the tire should line up close
to the valve stem.  I got new tires for my new to me GT6 and thought
they used a lot of weight - a 4" long one near a 2" long one.  Wondered
if my rims might be bad.  Commented to a club member and they pointed
out that my tires were mostly mounted about 180 deg off based on the
tire marking vs. the valve stem.  Went back and talked to a manager and
he said sometimes tires can take that much weight - not a problem with
the big SUVs every drives these days. Told him they were little 13"
tires and he came out and looked at the car.  He had an experienced
person adjust and rebalance the tires and the longest weight was then
under 2".

Brian

On 9/5/2020 6:24 PM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> Two thoughts:
>
> I have some really good foam tape - maybe 3M?  You can find it in all
> the usual places.
>
> I was always under the impression that new tires had a stamp thar
> indicated either the heavy spot or the light spot - it was meant to be
> mounted next to the valve stem.  That was supposed to minimize the
> amount of additional weight that needed to be applied.  It's been 40
> years since I balanced a tire, though - things may have changed.
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 8:37 AM <eric@megageek.com
>
>     So I been balancing wheels for a while now and I was wondering.
>     Can I just buy the double sided tape to reuse all the stick on
>     wheel weights I have to remove each time?
>
>     It seems like a no brainier to be able to reuse the weights, but I
>     can't find a double sided tape for that. (I'm guessing it needs to
>     be pretty good stuff to resist bumps, water, ice, dirt, etc.)
>
>     All my searches come up with the weights already on the tape, but
>     I just want to tape.
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     BTW, does anyone have any tips on how to balance tires?  I've
>     watched a bunch of videos, but it always seems that I need to
>     balance and add weights 5 or 6 times and end up putting on what
>     seems like a lot of weight for each tire.
>
>     Just wondering.
>
>     Thanks.
>

>     "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
>     rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
>     territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
>     -Who is John Galt?_______________________________________________
>
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
>     http://autox.team.net/archive
>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/fishplate@gmail.com

--------------24AC70836FA782F2D3012439

  <head>
  </head>
    New tires have had a dot indicating where the tire should line up
    close to the valve stem.  I got new tires for my new to me GT6 and
    thought they used a lot of weight - a 4" long one near a 2" long
    one.  Wondered if my rims might be bad.  Commented to a club member
    and they pointed out that my tires were mostly mounted about 180 deg
    off based on the tire marking vs. the valve stem.  Went back and
    talked to a manager and he said sometimes tires can take that much
    weight - not a problem with the big SUVs every drives these days.
    Told him they were little 13" tires and he came out and looked at
    the car.  He had an experienced person adjust and rebalance the
    tires and the longest weight was then under 2".<br>
    Brian<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAO8Q7CMAYAuWdmkwmMgzi5LyRZPETrxLnigx3OBBke5xN4hbhg@mail.gmail.com">
          it in all the usual places.</div>
          stamp thar indicated either the heavy spot or the light spot -
          it was meant to be mounted next to the valve stem.  That was
          supposed to minimize the amount of additional weight that
          needed to be applied.  It's been 40 years since I balanced a
          tire, though - things may have changed.</div>
          &lt;<a href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">eric@megageek.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font
            size="2" face="sans-serif">So I been balancing wheels for a
            while
            now and I was wondering.  Can I just buy the double sided
            tape to
            reuse all the stick on wheel weights I have to remove each
            time?</font>
            to be able
            to reuse the weights, but I can't find a double sided tape
            for that. (I'm
            guessing it needs to be pretty good stuff to resist bumps,
            water, ice,
            dirt, etc.)</font>
            the weights
            already on the tape, but I just want to tape.</font>
            Thanks.</font>
            tips on how
            to balance tires?  I've watched a bunch of videos, but it
            always seems
            that I need to balance and add weights 5 or 6 times and end
            up putting
            on what seems like a lot of weight for each tire.</font>
            Thanks.</font>
            "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights
            as a rational
            being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
            territory." Ralph
            Waldo Emerson <br>
            -Who is John
Galt?</font>_______________________________________________<br>