Re: [Shop-talk] Balancing wheels

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Balancing wheels
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 22:12:17 -0700

--------------DA87162CFD1FFF452633E83B

Why not call a tire shop and ask what they use? I can't believe they
don't re-use weights on occasion.

On 9/5/2020 6:24 PM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> Two thoughts:
>
> I have some really good foam tape - maybe 3M?  You can find it in all
> the usual places.
>
> I was always under the impression that new tires had a stamp thar
> indicated either the heavy spot or the light spot - it was meant to be
> mounted next to the valve stem.  That was supposed to minimize the
> amount of additional weight that needed to be applied.  It's been 40
> years since I balanced a tire, though - things may have changed.
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 8:37 AM <eric@megageek.com
>
>     So I been balancing wheels for a while now and I was wondering.
>     Can I just buy the double sided tape to reuse all the stick on
>     wheel weights I have to remove each time?
>
>     It seems like a no brainier to be able to reuse the weights, but I
>     can't find a double sided tape for that. (I'm guessing it needs to
>     be pretty good stuff to resist bumps, water, ice, dirt, etc.)
>
>     All my searches come up with the weights already on the tape, but
>     I just want to tape.
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     BTW, does anyone have any tips on how to balance tires?  I've
>     watched a bunch of videos, but it always seems that I need to
>     balance and add weights 5 or 6 times and end up putting on what
>     seems like a lot of weight for each tire.
>
>     Just wondering.
>
>     Thanks.
>

>     "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
>     rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
>     territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
>     -Who is John Galt?_______________________________________________

--------------DA87162CFD1FFF452633E83B

  <head>
  </head>
    Why not call a tire shop and ask what they use? I can't believe they
    don't re-use weights on occasion.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAO8Q7CMAYAuWdmkwmMgzi5LyRZPETrxLnigx3OBBke5xN4hbhg@mail.gmail.com">
          it in all the usual places.</div>
          stamp thar indicated either the heavy spot or the light spot -
          it was meant to be mounted next to the valve stem.  That was
          supposed to minimize the amount of additional weight that
          needed to be applied.  It's been 40 years since I balanced a
          tire, though - things may have changed.</div>
          &lt;<a href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">eric@megageek.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font
            size="2" face="sans-serif">So I been balancing wheels for a
            while
            now and I was wondering.  Can I just buy the double sided
            tape to
            reuse all the stick on wheel weights I have to remove each
            time?</font>
            to be able
            to reuse the weights, but I can't find a double sided tape
            for that. (I'm
            guessing it needs to be pretty good stuff to resist bumps,
            water, ice,
            dirt, etc.)</font>
            the weights
            already on the tape, but I just want to tape.</font>
            Thanks.</font>
            tips on how
            to balance tires?  I've watched a bunch of videos, but it
            always seems
            that I need to balance and add weights 5 or 6 times and end
            up putting
            on what seems like a lot of weight for each tire.</font>
            Thanks.</font>
            "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights
            as a rational
            being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
            territory." Ralph
            Waldo Emerson <br>
            -Who is John

--------------DA87162CFD1FFF452633E83B--