Re: [Shop-talk] Backyard rocket hot cookers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Backyard rocket hot cookers
From: Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 09:59:03 -0600
On 5/8/20 9:17 AM, Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk wrote:

> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 3:32 PM Peter Murray via Shop-talk
> <shop-talk@autox.team.net <mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net>> wrote:
>
>     Keep in mind that if you want serious heat, you'll want to use
>     charcoal.
>

> I can use my wok over charcoal?  I'd like to hear more about that.
>
> At the risk of thread drift, what's a good charcoal? Royal Oak is hard
> to light, but burns longer.  Kingsford lights easy, but burns quick -
> almost too quick to use.
>
> And most of the true lump charcoal I've tried turns out to be a big
> bag of charred stumps and dust.

Waaay back when charcoal was pretty much one of the only good heat
sources around.  The ancient Chinese did not have natural gas or propane
cylinders or any such modern conveniences available.  I don't think
dried yak dung is readily available these days in the States.

When I was more active on some serious BBQ sites, there was a web site
that did some serious charcoal reviews.  Maybe it will come to me, can't
remember it.  Maybe it was The Naked Whiz I mention below.

Kingsford is like the one of the worst charcoals out there.  It has the
highest percentage of non-combustible junk in it, but it has great
marketing.  I'm trying to remember, but as I recall Royal Oak makes a
special hardwood lump for the Big Green Egg folks, I think sold under
the BGE label.  Been a while since I've seen it.  Cowboy "lump" you see
at Home Depot is made from hardwood flooring scraps - you can see the
tongue and groove in most pieces, kind of humorous.

Check out this site, it may prove useful.  Most of the brands I've never
heard of or seen, mostly based in the Southeast and midwest US of A.
Salt Lake City isn't exactly BBQ Central for the planet.  But we do have
a few most excellent pitmasters working in the valley, all is not lost.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

I usually buy lump charcoal from the Ace Hardware up the street. One
interesting variety is Kamado Joe's XL BIG Lump - basically small tree
stumps that take a while to catch, like fill a chimney with other stuff,
then toss in a block of the XL and wait, but once going burn nice and
clean for a long time.  Good for long smokes of butts, not good if you
just want to whip out a couple of burgers.

With summer coming on fast and this staying at home stuff, this seems
like a perfectly appropriate topic for this list.  Of course, those of
you who never eat might not think so, sorry.

And I still want to fab up some whiz bang zillion BTU burner thing.  It
might involve having to head down to O'Reilly's Auto Parts to pick up a
#121G...

mjb.