Re: [Shop-talk] Backyard rocket hot cookers

To: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Backyard rocket hot cookers
From: Peter Murray via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 15:29:29 -0400

--00000000000046704a05a513e79a

Keep in mind that if you want serious heat, you'll want to use charcoal.
I've enjoyed using cast iron on a dedicated "clean" grate (i.e. I don't
cook directly on that grate).

Thermite is good for even more heat, but I don't think you treat your pans
as disposable, so...

-Peter

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 3:21 PM Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> A friend who has done this uses a Jet Boil. I think he uses propane out of
> necessity, but if you have NG and don't care that the grill isn't portable,
> NG is the way to go.
>
> jim
>
> > On May 7, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk <
> shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:
> >
> > Okay, so I did some blackened catfish for dinner this morning ( I work
> graveyard shift ) and really filled the house with smoke.  If you follow me
> on Facebook you should have an idea about my cooking addiction.
> >
> > Maybe I should get some sort of turkey deep fryer, 37 bazillion BTU
> propane burner stand so I can do some seriously hot stuff without making
> the house uninhabitable.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to do stuff on a cast
> iron grill plate, adapt it to a serious wok burner* and such, doubt I will
> ever deep fry a turkey.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  Propane cylinders?  Run a natural gas line from the
> house to the back yard?
> >
> > mjb.
> >
> > *:  This vid shows what sort of flame I'm looking for.
> https://www.foodbeast.com/news/season-wok/

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench.org

--00000000000046704a05a513e79a

t to use charcoal. I&#39;ve enjoyed using cast iron on a dedicated &quot;cl=
ean&quot; grate (i.e. I don&#39;t cook directly on that grate).<div><br></d=
iv><div>Thermite is good for even more heat, but I don&#39;t think you trea=
u, May 7, 2020 at 3:21 PM Jim Franklin via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">A friend who has done thi=
s uses a Jet Boil. I think he uses propane out of necessity, but if you hav=
e NG and don&#39;t care that the grill isn&#39;t portable, NG is the way to=
 go.<br>
jim<br>
&gt; On May 7, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">shop-talk@autox.team=
.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Okay, so I did some blackened catfish for dinner this morning ( I work=
 graveyard shift ) and really filled the house with smoke.=C2=A0 If you fol=
low me on Facebook you should have an idea about my cooking addiction.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Maybe I should get some sort of turkey deep fryer, 37 bazillion BTU pr=
opane burner stand so I can do some seriously hot stuff without making the =
house uninhabitable.=C2=A0 Any suggestions?=C2=A0 I&#39;d like to do stuff =
on a cast iron grill plate, adapt it to a serious wok burner* and such, dou=
bt I will ever deep fry a turkey.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any suggestions?=C2=A0 Propane cylinders?=C2=A0 Run a natural gas line=
 from the house to the back yard?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; mjb.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; *:=C2=A0 This vid shows what sort of flame I&#39;m looking for. <a hre=
f=3D"https://www.foodbeast.com/news/season-wok/"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">https://www.foodbeast.com/news/season-wok/</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>