Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 20:17:42 -0700
Wow ... this topic is right up there with politics and proving more
interesting and amusing than expected.  What a classy list (JK).

One aspect that isn't mentioned--and it's 'philosophical' more than
technical (well, maybe not)--is disposal of the batteries.  I only have
a couple years of chemistry but know enough to know that all battery
chemistries are bad news for the environment, on both ends (I'm no
greenie; I own two old British sports cars).  In fact, as I near the end
of my warranty--I'm 62 soon-to-be 63--I find myself more concerned about
not leaving too big a mess behind; so that will enter into my buying
decision.  The vote for tethered use is compelling; I've thought that
way at times myself.  If you don't have a charged battery on hand, it's
quicker to untangle the extension cord anyway, if power is available.