Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools
From: Arvid <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 10:04:49 -0500
--===============5865785694691281235==
 boundary="------------030702040601050707070709"

--------------030702040601050707070709

Having faced the same situation about a year ago. My beloved Panasonic
battery packs died and I did not want to rebuild them yet again. I
decided on the Milwaukee brushless series of tools.

I have the M12 brushless 12v drill and the brusheless impact driver plus
the right angle drill [not brushless but it was a 'free' add-on to the
12v drill purchase and I've used it more than I thought I would]. All
are very light yet quite powerful. There are two different size battery
packs. One is 2ah and is the same size as the handle of the drill. As
such it is very small and light but the battery lasts considerably
longer than 90% of the jobs I use it for. For 5% of the remaining I use
the 4ah battery which is the 'standard' flat bottom battery which allows
you to set the drill down using the bottom of the battery pack as a stand.

For the final 5% of the jobs I have the M18 brushless 18v drill,
drill-driver, saws-all and portaband. They all take the 5ah battery and
the drill has enough torque to easily break things [both organic and
inorganic] if I do not pay attention to what I am doing.

I am not suggesting that Milwaukee is any better nor worse than the
other brands. Just that I am happy with them.

I think Li-ion batteries is a given. As other have suggested, get one
brand and share batteries. I bought several as 'complete kits' so I
ended up with three chargers and multiple batteries. The rest were "tool
only" purchases. For what ever reason I see a lot of new or very lightly
used stuff on Craig's List in our area so the financial impact has not
been as great as it could have been.

I would highly recommend brushless not mater the brand.

Given the improvements in Li-ion batteries and especially the brushless
motors you may find that the 12v versions will do everything you need
while being very light and easy to use.

Arvid

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Having faced the same situation about a year ago. My beloved
    Panasonic battery packs died and I did not want to rebuild them yet
    again. I decided on the Milwaukee brushless series of tools.<br>
    I have the M12 brushless 12v drill and the brusheless impact driver
    plus the right angle drill [not brushless but it was a 'free' add-on
    to the 12v drill purchase and I've used it more than I thought I
    would]. All are very light yet quite powerful. There are two
    different size battery packs. One is 2ah and is the same size as the
    handle of the drill. As such it is very small and light but the
    battery lasts considerably longer than 90% of the jobs I use it for.
    For 5% of the remaining I use the 4ah battery which is the
    'standard' flat bottom battery which allows you to set the drill
    down using the bottom of the battery pack as a stand.<br>
    For the final 5% of the jobs I have the M18 brushless 18v drill,
    drill-driver, saws-all and portaband. They all take the 5ah battery
    and the drill has enough torque to easily break things [both organic
    and inorganic] if I do not pay attention to what I am doing.<br>
    I am not suggesting that Milwaukee is any better nor worse than the
    other brands. Just that I am happy with them.<br>
    I think Li-ion batteries is a given. As other have suggested, get
    one brand and share batteries. I bought several as 'complete kits'
    so I ended up with three chargers and multiple batteries. The rest
    were "tool only" purchases. For what ever reason I see a lot of new
    or very lightly used stuff on Craig's List in our area so the
    financial impact has not been as great as it could have been.<br>
    I would highly recommend brushless not mater the brand.<br>
    Given the improvements in Li-ion batteries and especially the
    brushless motors you may find that the 12v versions will do
    everything you need while being very light and easy to use.<br>
    Arvid<br>
      cite="mid:1905110359.7350562.1460247045042.JavaMail.zimbra@comcast.net"
      type="cite"><font face="Helvetica">------ Original Message ------<br>
        I realize this is like bringing up 'best oil' or 'best tires' on
        a car <br>
        list, but I'm in the market for a battery
        drill/driver/sander/etc. combo <br>
        to replace my ancient--but still working--Makita 9V
        driver-drill.  I <br>
        want something with all the 'goodies;' I'll need the usual
        driver/drill, <br>
        but also need a portable sander (belt and/or disc), and at least
        the <br>
        option for more attachments.<br>
        I know I probably can't lose with DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita or
        even <br>
        Craftsman--hell, they might all come out of the same factory in
        China <br>
        for all I know--but would like to see if there's a consensus on
        best <br>
        overall.  Is more voltage always better, or is 14.4V better for
        some <br>
        reason than 19.2V, etc.?    My main issue, and the reason I
        haven't <br>
        retired the old Makita yet, is that the batteries always seem to
        lose <br>
        capacity over time.  The 9V Makita is nickel-metal-hydride, and
        both the <br>
        OEM--which are too expensive IMO--and cheap, off-brand
        aftermarket ones <br>
        all lose charge when not used, and lose capacity after repeated
        charging.  I know Li-Ion is better, but a battery is a battery,
        and they <br>
        all will lose some capacity over time.<br>
        Any and all opinions, rants, etc. welcome.<br>
        Bob<br>

--===============5865785694691281235==--