Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools

To: steve@hochschild.org
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools
From: Paul Parkanzky <Paul@Parkanzky.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 16:00:06 -0400
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--94eb2c05d26cdf15ec053026df01

You may have given up too soon.  Have you tried modern Li-Ion tools?  My
experiences were like yours until the latest generation.  But now I
couldn't be happier after quite a long service life.

-Paul

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM, steve hochschild <steve-hochschild@att.net
> [...]

>>> list,
>>> but I'm in the market for a battery drill/driver/sander/etc. combo to
>>> replace my ancient--but still working--Makita 9V driver-drill.  I want
>>> something with all the 'goodies;' I'll need the usual driver/drill, but
>>> also
>>> need a portable sander (belt and/or disc), and at least the option for
>>> more
>>> attachments.
>>>
>>> I know I probably can't lose with DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita or even
>>> Craftsman--hell, they might all come out of the same factory in China for
>>> all I know--but would like to see if there's a consensus on best overall.
>>> Is more voltage always better, or is 14.4V better for some reason than
>>> 19.2V, etc.?
>>>
>> Pick the one that comes in the color you like.  I like red, so I have
>> Milwaukee[1].  Consider brushless for your most used tools, they're
>> lighter and more powerful, and the price differential is getting
>> smaller.  Careful buying kits, and make sure you get the version of
>> the kit you want.[2] Some kits are good deals, some aren't.
>> Drill/driver + something kits tend to be good values, as they're sold
>> on the drug dealer 'first one is free' model.  Others are more
>> expensive than buying the tool and batteries separately.  And once
>> you've got a collection of batteries, you don't need one for every
>> tool.
>>

>> Modern Li-ion batteries and tools are far superior to Ni-Cad or NiMH
>> batteries and tools.  Li-ion batteries have lower self discharge, so
>> they stay charged better, and they have higher power densities, so the
>> batteries last longer.   They also have much lower internal
>> resistance, so tools can take power out of them much faster.  That
>> means the current crop of high-end 12V stuff is better than any 19.2
>> nicad tool, in nearly every respect: lighter, smaller, more powerful,
>> and usually cheaper.  The 18V stuff is amazing; my m18 fuel drill
>> drills holes faster than my corded drill, which is a nice drill that
>> I've never thought underpowered or slow.
>>
>> A note on voltages:  the lithium cells used in the battery packs of
>> these tools have a nominal voltage of 4v, which is closer to 3.6 under
>> load.  The 12V tools use 3 cells in series, the 18v tools use 5.
>> (Dewalt's 20V stuff is 18V, the 20 is just marketing to make it sound
>> better.)  High capacity packs have two sets of cells in parallel.
>> Name brand batteries have a pretty good life, and seem to last two to
>> three years in professional use.
>>

>> [1]The actual reason i have Milwaukee tools is that I used to work
>> with people who had them, and it meant I could borrow a tool I didn't
>> own, and use my batteries on it.
>>
>> [2] I recently bought a drill/impact set.  The version with the
>> previous generation tools was still widely available, as was the early
>> version of the kit I got, which came with lower capacity batteries.

n Li-Ion tools?=C2=A0 My experiences were like yours until the latest gener=
ation.=C2=A0 But now I couldn&#39;t be happier after quite a long service l=
v class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM, steve hochschild =
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex">I am raising my hand to mention that I have given up on batt=
ery powered tools.=C2=A0 I have a huge collection of dead batteries, useles=
s chargers, and drill carcasses that make me mad every time I look at them.=
=C2=A0 I finally realized that all I really wanted was one of those very sm=
all battery screwdrivers, under $20, and regular, line-powered drills, etc.=
So feel free to save hundreds of dollars and for me, huge frustration, by b=
uying an extension cord and a set of plug-in tools.<br>
How many dead batteries and useless chargers have we all accumulated in our=
 shops, anyway??=C2=A0 Just an alternative opinion, feel free to ignore...<=
br>
On 4/10/2016 8:40 AM, David Scheidt wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell=
@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Folks,<br>
I realize this is like bringing up &#39;best oil&#39; or &#39;best tires&#3=
9; on a car list,<br>
but I&#39;m in the market for a battery drill/driver/sander/etc. combo to<b=
r>
replace my ancient--but still working--Makita 9V driver-drill.=C2=A0 I want=
something with all the &#39;goodies;&#39; I&#39;ll need the usual driver/dr=
ill, but also<br>
need a portable sander (belt and/or disc), and at least the option for more=
attachments.<br>
I know I probably can&#39;t lose with DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita or even<br>
Craftsman--hell, they might all come out of the same factory in China for<b=
r>
all I know--but would like to see if there&#39;s a consensus on best overal=
l.<br>
Is more voltage always better, or is 14.4V better for some reason than<br>
19.2V, etc.?<br>
Pick the one that comes in the color you like.=C2=A0 I like red, so I have<=
br>
Milwaukee[1].=C2=A0 Consider brushless for your most used tools, they&#39;r=
e<br>
lighter and more powerful, and the price differential is getting<br>
smaller.=C2=A0 Careful buying kits, and make sure you get the version of<br=

the kit you want.[2] Some kits are good deals, some aren&#39;t.<br>
Drill/driver + something kits tend to be good values, as they&#39;re sold<b=
r>
on the drug dealer &#39;first one is free&#39; model.=C2=A0 Others are more=
expensive than buying the tool and batteries separately.=C2=A0 And once<br>
you&#39;ve got a collection of batteries, you don&#39;t need one for every<=
br>
tool.<br>
Modern Li-ion batteries and tools are far superior to Ni-Cad or NiMH<br>
batteries and tools.=C2=A0 Li-ion batteries have lower self discharge, so<b=
r>
they stay charged better, and they have higher power densities, so the<br>
batteries last longer.=C2=A0 =C2=A0They also have much lower internal<br>
resistance, so tools can take power out of them much faster.=C2=A0 That<br>
means the current crop of high-end 12V stuff is better than any 19.2<br>
nicad tool, in nearly every respect: lighter, smaller, more powerful,<br>
and usually cheaper.=C2=A0 The 18V stuff is amazing; my m18 fuel drill<br>
drills holes faster than my corded drill, which is a nice drill that<br>
I&#39;ve never thought underpowered or slow.<br>
A note on voltages:=C2=A0 the lithium cells used in the battery packs of<br=

these tools have a nominal voltage of 4v, which is closer to 3.6 under<br>
load.=C2=A0 The 12V tools use 3 cells in series, the 18v tools use 5.<br>
(Dewalt&#39;s 20V stuff is 18V, the 20 is just marketing to make it sound<b=
r>
better.)=C2=A0 High capacity packs have two sets of cells in parallel.<br>
Name brand batteries have a pretty good life, and seem to last two to<br>
three years in professional use.<br>
[1]The actual reason i have Milwaukee tools is that I used to work<br>
with people who had them, and it meant I could borrow a tool I didn&#39;t<b=
r>
own, and use my batteries on it.<br>
[2] I recently bought a drill/impact set.=C2=A0 The version with the<br>
previous generation tools was still widely available, as was the early<br>
version of the kit I got, which came with lower capacity batteries.<br>
Both were more expensive...<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>