Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations

To: Gene Abbondelo <eugene.abbondelo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations
From: Tom & Marge FitzGibbon <fitzgibbon3@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:39:41 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Thread-index: 9u1uhjamHloO1Lldi8p+gnICGOwX0g== s=q20140121; t=1442237982; bh=FSyvycY03ooNhLEE5h98wPjt43afmqgTS+SCl+yf5i4=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=jWXCvAC8h9Zlcun33hvk4MJ8xLm6tjmGCD/3c30ZowDZ2qvWLYa+05Pujd7ecjR8r UKaftbOfB3XbRg3VcmlemeTDNw5ZAM7thSgcdbmc54tBPwyb9CvalKbQOZrteVslFl grDFDjpGOpum3B8XaovzGlThNyRarbeY6WDviHuyygA+X+oZWfJhCbTdjaXm5K84K5 mHkJE42KV/xc9J6MaPD9SgmPo/u9jCLUT4fZTAXnyr98bwEUAkvHxf1R9/FaDnzOx9 6ZsGXLQELY3bjAtdEhyzL8btB4d/rjE4N3eynhjtr/H3XXQmyy789aZcwjX1ooe7Uc bLTEQwNX3zTZA==
What is the GPS for (driving, hiking, boating, etc.)?B  If for driving, are
you planning on getting a portable GPS or an after-market in dash GPS?B  I
bought portable Garmin nuvi models (I don't recall the model numbers, sorry)
for my wife and daughter and they are fine.B  A little slow to find the
satellites on start-up, but only very occasionally slow to update while
driving.B  I like a lot of the map features.B  My wife's GPS supposedly shows
traffic and helps route around it, but I'm not sure she has ever successfully
gotten that feature to work.B  You may want to look for one that provides
lifetime map updates if you can.
For my fun car, I could fit a double-DIN stereo so I went with a Pioneer
in-dash AVIC GPS (mine's a few years old but newer models are available).B  I
prefer the in-dash for several reasons, including it acquires the satellites
faster, mine provides integrated blue-tooth connectivity for my phone, and I
don't have to have a separate mount so it saves dash space.
By the way, I also bought a GPS for my son and he used it once.B  He prefers
to use Google Maps on his phone.
Tom