Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:30:32 -0400
At 08:35 AM 9/14/2015, Gene Abbondelo wrote:

 >I'm planning on getting my son a decent GPS for his car as a
birthday gift.  His
 >car doesn't have one currently.  I myself have never used one.  Any
 >recommendations on a good, reliable brand to get? What about updates?

  Gene,

I prefer simpler things.  I have a Gramon that I paid about $125 for
at least 5
years old.  I like it and I especially like the ability to find
things by type, like food -
steak, fast food, etc, Drug store, etc.  I think most of them now
have voice turn
by turn which is a must have so you can keep your eyes on the road more.

The only down side to these commercial gps, is they require periodic
update for their maps (databases).  This can cost about $100.  So
look what the vendor does
for map updates.

Now that being said, does you son have a smart phone or thinking of
getting one
is the near futgure?  If so you he won't really need a gps.  A smart
phone can access google maps if you have a data plan for the
phone.  This not only will route
you, it show traffic slowdowns, and can/will try to route out around
major delays.

Some of the GPSs do this but they charge extra for it.  So you need to look at
the cost of the GPS, map updates, traffic alerts vs a smart phone,
it's data plan
and using google maps.

Now that my wife has the smart phone, we usually use that when we are
on the road.  But if I'm going somplace in my car (I don't have a
smart phone) I take my
gps and get buy with it.

One other thing in closing, the gps I have isn't as accomodating as
google maps is
for finding a round and our letting you easily modifiy the route.

Bottom line, I prefer the google maps with the data plan.

John

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---