Re: [Shop-talk] Axle ratio?

To: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Axle ratio?
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 19:44:20 -0700
All excellent points.  As of now, I don't have a trailer, I am just
exploring options.  I may rent the largest flatbed that UHaul rents for
a couple of one way trips, or I may just rent a large Ryder with a lift
gate and be done with it.  That, however, won't solve the problem of the
tractor.

Most of the heavy stuff consists of vintage cast iron woodworking power
tools:  18" Powermatic planer, Delta 12/14" TS, Powermatic 10" TS,  two
shapers, wide belt sander, RAS, edge sander, drill presses, tenoner,
mortiser, couple of medium size band saws.  I will palletize everything
that isn't on skids, and already have a pallet jack and will rent a
forklift.  I can determine the weight of each machine from the vendor
literature, and will calculate the footprint to determine how much I can
get on the truck or trailer.  That will be at least two trailer loads,
probably.  Then all of the other shop stuff, workbenches, portable
tools, supplies and so on are another trip.  Then my hardwood supply,
probably 1500 b/f of poplar, alder, maple and other odds and ends.  That
is a load in itself.  Then there is the tractor.  It's a New Holland
TC30 with a loader and backhoe.  They backhoe could be removed and moved
separately as it adds quite a bit of length and a not insubstantial
amount of weight to the load.  And that is just the SHOP stuff.  The
tractor and accessories will require towing down with the trailer; I
just don't see any way around it.  At least I can take the bucket off
the front and put a set of forks on it, for moving stuff on the other end.