Re: [Shop-talk] Axle ratio?

To: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Axle ratio?
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 14:14:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015, Dave Cavanaugh wrote:
> I have a 2004 GMC Sierra extended cab, short bed.  I would like to find the
> axle ratio and engine size.  I am pretty sure the engine is a 5.3 Vortec, but
> I'm having trouble finding the axle ratio. None of the codes in the glove box
> match anything I read on line.  Any pointers?  I will need to be towing a
> trailer quite a bit in the future and need to know how heavy I can go.

    Have you owned the truck since new?  If so, check the window sticker.

    If not, I would say that there's no way you can be sure the original
diff, whatever it was, remains.  So, in that case, you have to spin the
driveshaft and count the wheel rotations.

and Eric wrote...
> FWIW, a truck with a heavy load on a trailer with properly functioning
> brakes can normally stop in LESS distance than just the truck alone.

    I do not believe this, and it is contrary to my experience, and that of
basically everyone I can find.  It is also the opposite of what you are
taught when you get your CDL.

<http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/27wz8u/til_an_empty_semitruck_has_a_longer_stopping/>
<http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06/2013-light-duty-challenge-braking.html>
<http://www.driversafetypro.com/stopdist.gif>

    I'm aware of the simple physics argument.  Simple physics does not do a
very good job of describing the interaction between modern rubber tires
and imperfect road surfaces, among other things.

    No way, no how have any of my trucks stopped faster with a loaded
trailer than alone.  If you believe the opposite, why are racecars light?

--
  David Hillman