Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater quality

To: w <wc5813@gmail.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater quality
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 06:11:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi Wayne,

Once you have it out and replace it, I wrap the threads in pipe
tape so it comes out easy the next time, but that will not help on the first
removal.

I don't recall having that much trouble breaking it loose the first
time, though, I do have a large 3/4" breaker bar that provides a good deal of
leverage.  I am surprised that a impact wrench wouldn't break it loose.  Can
you get a couple extra lengths of air hose to reach it, or borrow a portable
compressor?

I would have to believe that a 1/2" impact wrench on a portable
compressor would back it out easily, or get a long 3/4" drive breaker bar, or
use a piece of galv. or iron water pipe over the handle of your current
breaker bar to increase your torque.

Again, though, I am a little surprised
that it is so tight/frozen...

best,