Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater quality

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater quality
From: "ElanS4" <ElanS4@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:43:16 -0500
Benjamin Zwissler wrote:

> The interesting and troublesome part of the repalement was that the bottom
of
> the tank was full of light, fluffy bluish-white material that kept the
water from
> draining.  It wasn't the hard granules that I've typcially drained out
from water
> heaters, but looked and felt like large soap flakes.

I've had something like this for the last 20 years or so...

When it first happened, my buddy explained to me that it was from the
plastic fill pipe that the cold water comes internally in the tank.  It
degrades over time.  The "flakes" feel like thin strips of plastic film.  I
replaced the tank way back then (and once again since then), but that crap
is still in my hot water tanks.  Every now and then, I have to take apart my
shower diverter valve and clean the stuff out.  The shower head too.  The
rest of the house facets occasionally need it.  I don't know if that's
what's wrong with your system, but I have learned to never buy any heaters
with internal plastic "pipes".

Tim Mullen