Re: [Shop-talk] stupid cell phone question

To: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] stupid cell phone question
From: Miq Millman <miq@bigllama.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:24:07 -0700
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Tracfone uses both GSM (removable SIMcard) and CDMA (non-removable SIM
card) phones for their service, and allows their customer to piggyback on
existing carriers.  You can determine which carrier you are using by the
leading characters of the SIM card, it will say something like SIMT for
T-Mobile or SIMC for ATT/Cingular.  The point is, if you are using a CDMA
based tracfone, it will be on Verizon or Sprint, and you won't be able to
swap out a foreign card.

Pulling the SIM will allow you to move the number to another phone, but you
will not keep you r local Washington State number if you put in a Canada
Rogers SIM--you will then have a British Columbia based number.

Depending on how the Tracfone stores the contact information, you may have
access to it.  So the question for you is do you have a CDMA or a GSM
Tracfone?

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@bigllama.com