Re: [Shop-talk] stupid cell phone question

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] stupid cell phone question
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:26:49 -0400
Dave-

Your SIM card carries your account information, and (if you store your
numbers there, and not in the phone itself) your contacts, albeit in the
limited way that a SIM can (only 250 contacts, name and number only).

Warning: Your existing Tracfone SIM may not work in a non-Tracfone unit.
See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless#TracFone

You may find that you want to change to a different pre-paid carrier in
order to enable the ability to swap SIMs when you cross the border,
otherwise, you may have to carry two phones.

Any "unlocked" GSM/GPRS/EDGE compatible phone (similar to what you linked
to earlier), should be compatible with any Rodgers Wireless pre-paid
offering in Canada as well as with AT&T/T-Mobile offerings. You will
increase the areas where it works if you get a phone that also has 3G
(HSPA) capability like the Samsung Rugby 2 that I got for my FIL:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Rugby-A847-Unlocked-Ruggedized/dp/B005SHQHSE.

If he has not broken it in the 2.5 years he has had it, it *must* be tough.

I would just stop by a Rodgers retail location when you're next up there
and pick up a SIM. Here is a link to their talk-only plans, though they
have several different ones, in case texting is important:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/plans?cm_sp=wireless-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_banner#,Tabset1--3,,,,

You should be able to test it out with your current phone or with your new
phone.

One other note - you could also look at Republic Wireless, which offers
flat-rate US-based $20/mo or $30/mo unlimited talk/text/data plans that
permit roaming (at no additional cost) in Canada. US coverage is very good,
with Sprint as the primary and Verizon where Sprint isn't - and wifi any
time it can get it. I have been happy with the service, and with the use of
wifi for voice/text/data whenever it can, places that have only wifi
internet and no cell coverage (like my house), the phone works just fine!

http://www.republicwireless.com/

NFI, just a happy customer. Happy to answer any questions, too.

-Peter