[Shop-talk] Pipe Threading

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Pipe Threading
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:34:36 -0400
Hey Guys,
Question about pipe threading. My garage / shop is partially below grade
on the bottom level of my house. It has an original propane water heater
that has been replaced with an electric unit in a different place (long
story.)

I want to remove it to free up space in the corner of the garage where
it's sitting. I can cap off the water supply lines no prob. Problem is
-- there is a black iron threaded gas supply line that drops down from
the sheetrock ceiling to 2' above the floor. Not sure how to cap-off or
remove it.

Whatever fitting it threads into is inaccessible in the ceiling. I don't
want 7 feet of pipe hanging down. Is it feasible to saw off the pipe,
somehow thread it, and put a cap on? Ideally, I'd just put a pipe wrench
on the fitting, and replace it with a pipe nipple & cap.

-Thanks, Wayne