[Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:00:54 -0500
Still reeling from the price of granite/soapstone/etc, I was researching
alternatives. I already have an apron-front sink, which acts like an
undermount but actually is supported on the sides at the bottom, instead of
being clamped to the counter underside. Still, I can't really use laminate
unless I work at waterproofing the edge where the sink is. This isn't a
forever counter, so it is a possibility.

One material that struck my eye was phenolic resin. I'd need to cut out the
sink hole; is it easily worked with carbide blades or is it a pain?

Concrete is out, way too much work.

There's too much wood in the kitchen already for butcher block.

Any other reasonably priced alternatives you've used (or heard of)?

thanks,