Re: [Shop-talk] Sawzall blades

To: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sawzall blades
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:08:08 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Nick,

I have on old pruning saw that is set aside for roots, which may be an
affordable option if you just have a little cutting and don't have the
Sawzall type saw already.

As another option, I used my rotary hammer in hammer mode with a chisel
blade.

We had a large tree fall down and rip out a retaining wall.  There was a
cluster of roots remaining where the new wall needed to go. The roots
were intertwined and full of rocks.  I tried a hatchet and pruning saw,
but wore out my arm and chipped off the corner of the hatchet.  I wanted
minimal dirt disruption to avoid settling of the replacement wall, so
didn't want to make a big hole trying to dig out the roots.  I wore
heavy leather gloves and used one hand to guide the chisel.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-1-inch-sds-rotary-hammer-97743.html
and
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-sds-masonry-flat-chisel-set-42651.html

$49 for the drill and $10 for the bits on sale.

It isn't necessarily efficient and it might have been quicker and easier
to go with some of the blades mentioned in a Sawzall, but I didn't think
about that.  I throw this out to the list as another choice and use for
a fun tool.

I love the rotary hammer.  Wear hearing protection though as it is
loud.  The only thing I use my regular hammer drill for now is precision
stuff with small bits.

Brian